Welcome to Freewheeling across the Himalayas

Le voyage est un retour vers l'essentiel (proverbe tibetain)

WELCOME TO FREEWHEELING ACROSS THE HIMALAYAS

My name is Celine Soulard and on July 2010 I will embark on a 7 month cycling journey from Tajikistan to Nepal. This adventure will take me to some of the most challenging and beautiful roads in the world. I am also undertaking this journey to raise funds for the Mary A. Tidlund Charitable Foundation in support of the Ladakh Project (Health inc). I encourage you to subscribe to my blog to follow me in this great adventure. I will share with you in this blog stories and photos on a regular basis and hope to inspire you to contribute to the Ladakh Project.

DONATE to Ladakh Project

Thanks
Celine


October 19, 2010

Quick update

Hello everyone;


We left Kashgar on September 13th in an attempt to reach Kathmandu, Nepal. This is a distance of about 2,500km from which about 1,800km, according to Chinese legislation, MUST be travelled in a group with guide, Jeep driver, and a PERMIT that costs a fortune!  Most importantly for me it removes all sense of adventure and freedom, which is why I travel by bike in the first place!

We managed to cycle about half of it on our own, but on October 14th, after we passed the city of Ali, we were "stopped" by the PSB and returned to Kashgar (a good story to follow). It was an amazing month of cycling though, with some unique landscape. We knew the risks and that we had little chance of freely cycling to Kathmandu, but it was worth a try!!!


Cycling at 5000m in the Aksai Chin, China (photo: Pierre Payet-Burin)
 I am now back in Kashgar for a couple of days to sort out the next leg of the adventure!

I will do my best to post some stories and photos over the next week or so.

Cheers
Celine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Salut Petite C,

J'ai regardé presque toutes tes photos, et c'est vraiment dépaysant. Vous avez bien fait d'essayer de vous rendre en "free cycling" Les photos sont super. Quelles sont vos intentions pour Kathmandu ? Allez-vous vous y rendre autrement qu'en vélo ?
C'est super d'avoir de tes nouvelles. Fais-attention à toi.
Amicalement
OLI