Welcome to Freewheeling across the Himalayas

Le voyage est un retour vers l'essentiel (proverbe tibetain)

WELCOME TO FREEWHEELING ACROSS THE HIMALAYAS

My name is Celine Soulard and on July 2010 I will embark on a 7 month cycling journey from Tajikistan to Nepal. This adventure will take me to some of the most challenging and beautiful roads in the world. I am also undertaking this journey to raise funds for the Mary A. Tidlund Charitable Foundation in support of the Ladakh Project (Health inc). I encourage you to subscribe to my blog to follow me in this great adventure. I will share with you in this blog stories and photos on a regular basis and hope to inspire you to contribute to the Ladakh Project.

DONATE to Ladakh Project

Thanks
Celine


May 11, 2010

Change in plan!

Hi,

Couple weeks ago I got severe pain in my right knee after one of my training ride. Turned out I had a meniscus tear (old injury) acting on me....I could hardly walk for couple days. I did my best to remain calm and thanks to a friend of mine I was able to access an orthopedic surgeon today. After his assessment he recomended to "fix" it before I go. Otherwise there is a risk that the tear cause some serious problems during my trip....timing is everything they say!!!

So June 3rd I will have my knee surgery done and this is exactly 6 weeks before the first riding day in Tajikistan so it should be fine. The rest of my knee is a good shape and will do everything I can to make the recovery successfull.

The down side of this is that I will not have time to cycle to Vancouver. I will stay in Calgary until June 27th and work with my Amazing Physiotherapist Dave Holmes from Tower Physio . Instead I will cycle the Sunshine coast with my friend John before flying to Tajikistan.
At the moment the pain is gone so I should still be able to get some light training done before surgery day. I need to be disciplined and keep my cadence as high as I can so to keep to a minimum the pressure on my knee....

On the good news side I have now received my Visa for Tajikistan and will request the Kyrkyzstan visa this week.

Will let you know how it goes after the surgery!

Celine

1 comment:

Fred Bouwman said...

HI Celine,

I hope your recovery is going well.

Fred