Welcome to Freewheeling across the Himalayas

Le voyage est un retour vers l'essentiel (proverbe tibetain)

WELCOME TO FREEWHEELING ACROSS THE HIMALAYAS

My name is Celine Soulard and on July 2010 I will embark on a 7 month cycling journey from Tajikistan to Nepal. This adventure will take me to some of the most challenging and beautiful roads in the world. I am also undertaking this journey to raise funds for the Mary A. Tidlund Charitable Foundation in support of the Ladakh Project (Health inc). I encourage you to subscribe to my blog to follow me in this great adventure. I will share with you in this blog stories and photos on a regular basis and hope to inspire you to contribute to the Ladakh Project.

DONATE to Ladakh Project

Thanks
Celine


March 13, 2015

Into the fall

Something is changing....since the beginning of March....nights are colder, while I am riding I see and hear a lot of men chopping firewood,  there is fresh snow in the mountains and almost no tourists which means great riding.....yes people look at me funny when I am telling them I am going south....yes the fall is coming and coming fast!!!

Leaving Coyhaique I got hit hard by the rain...but as usual this always brings some great encounter. I came to the "hotel" with the hope of warming up before continuing the road....well with the fire place, good food and great company I didn't leave until the next day!!! I was the only customer....evening was spent sitting by the fireplace talking with the two ladies running the place :-)



Then I spent a couple days in Cerro Castillo at a great camping. I enjoyed a great hiking day to get close-up views of the mountain, then a nice day of rest sitting in the hammock and exploring the surrounding.

I had another very cold day leaving Cerro Castillo....cold and strong head wind and torrential downpour. I cycled for 4 hours but the idea of setting the tent that night wasn't very appealing to me. So just for fun I hitchhike the first truck that came by. Sure enough the driver stopped and gave me a 50 km ride to the warm and cozy Bahia Murta hostel where I spent the evening sitting next to the wood stove, drinking Mate and talking to the owner Clothilde and Nelson, two Chileneans in their 60's.....much better option than camping alone in the middle of nowhere!!!




























1 comment:

Fred Bouwman said...

Hi Celine,

You must feel right at home in the mountains. You have beautiful pictures.

Fred